Right in the middle of my recent pity party, someone at our church asked us to host 2 girls from a nation-wide traveling children's choir that benefits Children of Hope. Not feeling very worthy, I accepted anyway and Hallelujah that I did!
We went to their concert Sunday evening and then were introduced to Rose (10) from Uganda and Neha (8) from Nepal. They are sort of used to staying with host families, so they were immediately comfortable with us. A quick trip to McDonald's brought out the silly side in everyone and before we knew it, they were even playing pranks on us in the car! The agenda had the girls at our house for 2 nights and 1 full day. I was unsuccessful in making any great plans (Neha and Rose wanted to go "bounce", but all three prospective jump places were not available on that day). So we stayed in town and tried to entertain the old-fashioned way..... great, yet exhausting I should say.
Sorry about the long strand of pictures, but there were too many cute ones not to share. Here is a photo journal of our time together:
That's our Rose in the middle. She is a hoot and full of energy.
Sweet Neha is in the turquoise dress. What an angel!
"Uncle" in the back there was great at breaking the ice. And the girls declared this their favorite picture!
Thank you Shana for the bikes on loan.... they were a hit (a little short, but I don't think they knew or cared!)
One of the highlights: the tire swing! Poor Neha got a little too dizzy and brought out my side order of guilt that I carry around most days. But it was a huge hit for about 15 minutes.
Halloween Swimming?!?!
They started their tour in August and so just swam for the first time recently at a hotel. I did warn them how cold it was going to be, but that didn't seem to matter. Swimming is fun at any cost! Neha jumped in first, but it was Rose we couldn't get out of the water.
Carving pumpkins: a little more work than any of us had signed up for, but they were proud afterwards of the porch decorations. The girls actually coached me on how to prepare the seeds for eating just like they do in their countries. So we did (but I used the oven!) and they were yummy.
The movie of choice: Cinderella! Poor Jackson was in agony, but we have made many sacrifices in the name of boys for the last 5 years. And don't think that was the only bowl of popcorn they chowed down on!
These precious girls were just what the doctor ordered at our house, and I hope they at least got a drop medicine from us. They are Americanized just enough to love High School Musical, bounce houses, McDonald's, and spaghetti. Yet they are humble, grateful, well-mannered, obedient, honest, and loving.... I am in awe. I cried like a baby when we dropped them off, knowing that we can't keep in touch and they will return to their countries as orphans after a year of touring. Please pray for all of them and check out the website above if you are interested in helping.



3 comments:
That's so wonderful that you were able to participate in that program. It looks like you had a great time.
What an amazing experience!
hey beth, it's misty...i saw your blog from brittney's. i love reading it. i talked to your mom at dina's baby shower and it sounds like your jackson and my parker are A LOT alike..little handfuls! i love reading your blog, your family is precious! and i love this entry, what an awesome experience for your kids - love that!
Post a Comment