Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Mini Milestone

So I decided to help out Ella's preschool teachers a bit and show up at school next Wednesday being able to say that she has napped on her nap mat before. Actually, I was thinking that may not be the total truth, because surely this was not going to go well (the trial run that I waited until the last minute to do). I was so much more on the ball with Jackson... he had this down at least a month before school started at the time. Sista has only slept in a crib or pack & play until now. And she's not much of a rule-follower since she turned two, so...
I talked it up. She replied "uh huh". We read a book. She continued to stay on the mat. I gave her a kiss. She kissed me back. I said "night night", knowing this was the kiss of death signal to chase me out of the room. But NO! Girlfriend just smiled and repeated the "night night". But I'm not stupid... I know there is way too much to do in this room to just lay there and sleep. Wrong again! The toot didn't make another noise for 2 hours! And I should probably mention that Jackson was strangely napping in his room (which he never does) for at least an hour of it (only because he got in trouble the night before and wasn't allowed to rest in the play room today). Ahhh, God is good! He rewards tired moms with small bouts of peace, when the previous evening is tortured by miniature nocturnal creatures dying to get out in search of prey. So I did what any respectable mom would do at such an opportune time: I Facebooked! It's the new devil in my life, and won't leave me alone!
Back to Ella Kate. I left her in the room for about 15 minutes after she woke up and listened to her do roll call to all the people she knows. I just knew she was going to be up and playing when I walked in. It seems though that she wasn't aware that was an option (one other reason I love the age of 2!). Chica was lying on her nap mat, waiting for dismissal. Can you say "honor student"?

3 comments:

Mike, Sarah, and Will said...

Ok, you are already ahead of me. Will has yet to sleep on his nap mat and I am sure his first day will be at school...I'll let the teachers handle it, of course I'll be around the corner trying to get 13 one year old's use to their nap mats...what comes around goes around.

The Gecks said...

Well don't feel too defeated... today on the nap mat was a total disaster!
Are you doing the MDO thing? Yeah Sarah!

Mike, Sarah, and Will said...

Yes I am doing the MDO thing and I think I might have lost my mind...we'll re-evaluate when I get that little spending money later this month...